Pulmonary rehabilitation is a comprehensive program designed to restore an optimal level of health for patients diagnosed with chronic lung disease. You will be referred to the program by your physician when you meet certain criteria for breathing impairment during a pulmonary function test.
Working with your physicians, our therapists conduct a thorough assessment and develop a personal treatment plan, combining education and exercise, to improve daily activity. Participants learn about the disease and coping strategies. Family members and caregivers are encouraged to be involved.
The goal of outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation is to reduce illness and hospitalization by helping patients:
- Understand and manage the disease
- Learn to breathe efficiently
- Improve endurance with functional activities
- Enhance quality of life
- Decrease anxiety and depression
Exercise sessions include:
- Breathing and relaxation techniques to increase capacity, strength, and endurance
- Relaxation tips to manage shortness of breath and anxiety
- Energy conservation tips to increase activity tolerance
- Endurance training to improve efficient oxygen use by muscles
- Strength training to help muscles overcome effects of disability