Advanced Cardiac Imaging
CHI St. Luke’s Health provides a cost-effective, patient-centric approach to cardiovascular imaging. We have a team of experts in different imaging modalities that work together to guide clinical cardiologists, interventionalists, structural heart disease specialists, and endovascular experts in the selection of optimal therapies for their patients.
Using the most advanced non-invasive and minimally invasive approaches, we can take a closer look at the heart and vessels with little risk to the patient. In addition to diagnosis, our screening capabilities allow us to monitor the heart’s condition during and after medical treatments; these include cardio-oncology imaging and mechanical circulatory support imaging.
Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Imaging (CMR)
Cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging (CMR) has emerged as the gold standard to assess heart function. CMR is able to look at the heart from any view without being constrained by the patient's body size and shape. The images are very reproducible, enabling physicians to reliably compare findings over time with repeated scans. Using this technology, we can precisely detect any heart damage as a result of heart attack.
We offer a broad range of diagnostic imaging services using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to evaluate the cardiovascular system, including the assessment of:
- Left and right ventricular function
- Coronary artery disease (including viability and scar imaging, stress perfusion study)
- Coronary artery origins
- Ischemic and non-ischemic cardiomyopathy (e.g. amyloidosis, sarcoidosis, arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia, constrictive heart disease, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, left ventricular non-compaction, iron-overloading disorder)
- Heart valvular structures
- Congenital heart disease (e.g. transposition of great vessels, Tetralogy of Fallot, ventricular and atrial septal defects, anomalous pulmonary venous return)
- Thoracoabdominal aorta, peripheral runoff arteries, renal arteries
Cardiovascular Computed Tomography (CVCT)
Cardiovascular computed tomography (CVCT) combines a series of X-Ray views taken from many different angles to produce “cross-sectional” images of the heart and vessels. Our clinicians aim to obtain the best quality images with the lowest radiation dose. Additionally, we were the first in the Houston area to offer HeartFlow FFR-CT Analysis (HeartFlow)—the only non-invasive, 3D technology to accurately test for coronary artery disease (CAD). Thanks to this leading-edge innovation, we can provide a more accurate and detailed analysis of your arteries to determine if you have CAD.
We offer the following tests using CVCT capabilities:
- Coronary calcium scoring
- Coronary CT angiography
- Pre-operative planning for pulmonary vein ablation for atrial fibrillation
- Comprehensive thoracoabdominal aorta imaging
- Comprehensive pre- and post-procedure evaluation of endostent graft placement
- Assessment of complex congenital heart disease in patients who could not undergo Cardiac MRI
- Evaluation of peripheral, renal, and mesenteric arteries
Our imaging technologists are specially trained in cardiovascular imaging, registered with the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT), and licensed with the Texas Department of Health (TDH).