Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center is a nationally recognized leader in medical research and treatment and has given rise to powerful breakthroughs in medicine. With a team of experts in the intricacies of bariatric surgery, our multidisciplinary approach provides our patients with comprehensive, effective care.
The Weight Loss and Metabolic Center at Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center specializes in improving the health and wellbeing of severely overweight patients with compassionate care and advanced techniques. Our highly-trained experts offer a variety of surgical and non-surgical options, including minimally invasive procedures. Our team includes specialists in bariatric surgery, gastroenterology, sleep disorders, and cardiology.
Why Baylor St. Luke’s Weight Loss and Metabolic Center?
- Highly-skilled surgeons
- Leading-edge technology
- Over 1,500 operations performed
- Multidisciplinary approach
- Robotic-assisted surgery
- Non-surgical options
- Support groups and nutrition counseling
Comprehensive Care With a Team You Can Trust
Our comprehensive program supports you through every step of your weight loss program. Carlos Galvani, MD, shares what to expect after a bariatric procedure, as well as some of the benefits.
Chandra Carr, MHA, LVN, BS
Chandra Carr brings over 13 years of healthcare experience to her position as Bariatric Program Coordinator at Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center.
At Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center, we understand that obesity is a complex chronic disease. There is no one therapy that works for everyone, and success looks very different on an individual basis. That’s why we provide our patients the tools and information they need to make the decisions that work best for them. Our comprehensive program and multidisciplinary team are here to help you achieve your goals.
Our multispecialty program offers:
- Medical clearance: We adjust for considerations like pulmonary risk factors, control of hypertension, treatment of sleep apnea, control of diabetes, or adjustment of blood thinners. Multiple providers are involved in this medical intervention, including surgeons, primary care doctors, and other specialists.
- Nutritional counseling: We evaluate individual needs, discuss personal responsibility, and identify potential barriers to postoperative success. The implementation of healthy eating habits is essential. Our goal is to help you develop your own balanced nutritional program for long-term success.
- Mental health consultation: We help patients to deal with potential anxiety and stress leading up to surgery, and also to effectively navigate the mental health issues surrounding weight loss surgery, such as reducing symptoms of depression, assisting in the treatment of disordered eating, and decreasing the risk for transfer addiction.
- Monthly dedicated support groups: These provide social and emotional support and the opportunity for learning from others.
- Follow-up care: Usually, this involves four visits in the first year to check lab work and meet with the dietitian. These follow-up visits are important to ensure patients are compliant with long-term nutritional supplementation and that patients receive appropriate lifelong routine monitoring.
Bariatric Surgery Overview
Learn more about the many options available through our bariatrics program from Carlos Galvani, MD.
Our team performs a variety of procedures and takes the time to find the right solution for you. Learn about the different surgical and non-surgical options offered through the Bariatric Program.