The Mermaid Project
The Mermaid Project, funded by donations to the CHI St. Luke's Health - Brazosport Health Foundation, is a local initiative dedicated to transforming potential breast cancer victims into survivors! To meet this goal, the Project provides free breast cancer screening to qualifying low-income, uninsured men and women living in Southern Brazoria County.
CHI St. Luke's Health Brazosport works closely with Brazosport Medical Center in Freeport to provide a comprehensive medical home for Mermaid patients. Brazosport Medical Center (BMC) will serve as a first point of contact for patients who need clinical breast exams and subsequent mammography order. Patients will benefit by establishing care with a medical provider from the beginning of their journey as well as a place to receive ongoing, follow up care.
To qualify for The Mermaid Project, you must:
- Be pre-approved for services by the CHISLHB business office
- Be at least 40 years of age
- Be referred by a physician
- Live in southern Brazoria County
In order to determine eligibility, please call the Financial Services Offices at CHI St. Luke's Health Brazosport at 979-415-2222.
The facts about breast cancer:
- Every 3 minutes, a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer in the U.S.
- Breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths among women ages 40 to 59.
- It is the second leading cause of cancer death in women.
- 80% of all breast cancers occur in women with no known risk factors.
- Breast cancer accounts for 31% of all new cancer cases in women.
- Breast cancer death rates are decreasing due to early detection.
To better help you navigate through The Mermaid Project, please click to read the step by step instructions.
Contact Information for Screening Mammograms:
Brazosport Medical Center
905 N. Gulf Boulevard
Freeport, TX 77541