Getting Ready for Childbirth
Welcoming a new baby is a cause for celebration and joy at CHI St. Luke’s Health–The Woodlands Hospital. Our desire is to make your birthing experience pleasant and your stay here at CHI St. Luke’s Health–The Woodlands Hospital memorable. Preparing for your new addition is important as well.
The first steps to prepare for your delivery is to pre-register at the hospital. Registering prior to your delivery will serve two purposes. When you arrive in labor, your admission process will be hastened and your delivery of care expedited. Registering early will also allow you the opportunity to discuss any financial or birth certificate questions you may have. The Family Birthing Center Registration and Birth Certificate Registry office is open Monday through Friday from 6:15 a.m. until 5:30 p.m., and no appointment is necessary. You will meet with members of the Patient Access Services (PAS) team several times during your hospital stay for various reasons, such as taking care of financial arrangements, finishing up any necessary hospital paperwork, and completing the birth certificate or acknowledgement of paternity for the baby.
In order to ensure the smoothest admission process, we ask that you visit us early to register. Please complete your hospital registration between 20–28 weeks of pregnancy.
You must complete your pre-registration with PAS in person. The Welcome Center is located in the Main Lobby on the first floor. It takes approximately 30–45 minutes to discuss and sign hospital admission paperwork. At your preregistration visit, we will need to make a copy of your photo ID and your current insurance card. Our insurance verifiers will be more than happy to verify your benefits so that you are aware of any required deposit prior to your hospital stay. We do ask if a deposit is required that payment is made or arranged by your 7th month of pregnancy.
We look forward to taking care of you and assisting you with any of your needs. Please feel free to contact PAS with any questions or concerns you may have at 936-266-2000.
Suggested Items to Pack for Labor, Delivery, and Postpartum
Listed below are some recommended items to bring with you to the hospital for labor, delivery, and recovery. CHI St. Luke’s Health–The Woodlands Hospital looks forward to sharing this exciting time with you and your family.
- Robe and slippers for walking in the hallways during your stay
- Warm socks (not your best pair in case they get dirty)
- Nursing bra if breastfeeding OR tight-fitting sports bra if not nursing (to suppress milk supply)
- Going home outfit for mom – 20 weeks pregnancy size
- Extra pillows with non-white pillowcases (due to chance of soiling and so we know they do not belong to us)
- Comfy shoes to go home in – you may be too swollen after delivery to wear tight fitting shoes
- Lip balm – you’ll be surprised how dry your lips may become from breathing during labor
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, and/or mouthwash
- Hair care items
- Any other toiletries that you may desire (we have Dial soap)
- Contact lens supplies and/or eyeglasses
- Baby book or anything else you would like footprints in/on
- Going home outfit and blanket for baby (we respectfully ask that our linens be left here for our next patients)
- Infant car seat – INSTALLED and understand how to use and adjust
- Nutritious snacks for partner
- List of phone numbers and people to notify of birth
- Extra paper and pen
- Camera and/or video recorder
- Massage therapy items (lotions, oil, or items for back massage) if you desire your support person to perform that type of therapy
- A good magazine or baby care or breastfeeding book (if you like to read)
- Deck of cards or games to play while in labor
Things to Do Prior to Giving Birth
- Choose a pediatrician
- Make sure you are registered at the hospital
- Plan childcare arrangements for other siblings
- Wash baby clothes and linens
- Have your baby’s car seat installation inspected. To locate the nearest car seat safety check station, visit www.nhtsa.gov