Obtaining Your Child's Birth Certificate
The birth of a child is an exciting time and CHI St. Luke’s Health–The Woodlands Hospital is proud to be a part of such a significant milestone with you.
One of the many and most important responsibilities you have with the birth of your newborn is to complete the birth certificate, which is crucial to:
- Prove claimed citizenship;
- Obtain a social security card;
- Identify parental relationship (mother/father); and
- Attend school and work in the country.
It is important to register the birth of your newborn with the Texas Department of State Health Services and Vital Statistics as soon as possible. To help make the birthing process as seamless as possible, you may fill out the Birth Certificate Worksheet form (English or Español) and bring it with you on the day of admission.
CHI St. Luke’s Health–The Woodlands Hospital does not issue certified copies of birth certificates or social security cards. The collected information is submitted to the Texas Department of State Health Services and Vital Statistics. However, there are various methods that a parent may choose to receive a certified copy of their baby’s birth certificate.
- County Mail
- County Clerk
- Bureau of Vital Statistics
You will have to provide the required information below, along with cash, check, or money order for $22 in order to receive your baby’s birth certificate.
- Full name listed on the birth record
- Date of birth
- Place of birth (city, county)
- Father's full name (last, first, middle)
- Mother's full name (including her maiden name)
- Reason for requesting the certificate
- Relationship to the person on the birth record
- Daytime telephone number with area code
- Complete return mailing address
- Number of records requested
You must also provide:
- Photocopy of a picture ID
- Form of payment
- Handwritten signature
For questions or more information, call the CHI St. Luke's Health–The Woodlands Hospital Birth Registrar at 936-266-3605.
Certified Birth Certificate Request Form required. You may download the certified birth certificate copy application from the Montgomery County website here.
Include the required information stated above along with a check or money order for $22 payable to Montgomery County Clerk. The application fees may be mailed to:
- Montgomery County Clerk
- P.O. Box 959
- Conroe, Texas 77305
- Phone: 936-539-7885
- Fax: 936-760-6990
Walk-in at your local registrar. If a certified copy of a recent birth is needed immediately, it is recommended that you apply in person at the local registrar's office in the county where the birth took place. The local registrar offices are located at:
- Conroe County Clerk's Office (Main Office)
- 210 W. Davis
- Conroe, TX 77031
- Phone: 936-536-7885
- Open: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- New Caney County Clerk's Office (East County Annex)
- Hwy 59 and FM 1485
- Southbound Feeder Road
- New Caney, TX 77357
- Phone: 281-577-8976
- Open: Tuesday and Thursday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (closed for lunch, noon - 1:00 p.m.)
- The Woodlands County Clerk's Office (South County Annex)
- 1520 Lake Front Circle Suite 400
- Phone: 281-364-4241
- Open: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (closed for lunch, noon - 1:00 p.m.)
Bureau of Vital Statistics
The Bureau of Vital Statistics can issue certified birth certificates in person or by mail. They also offer expedited service via an overnight mail carrier. Visit the office below in person, or mail $22 (or $60 for an Heirloom birth certificate) along with your application to:
- 1100 W. 49th St.
- Austin, TX 78756-3191
- 888-963-7111 (toll-free phone)
- 512-458-7711 (fax)
- Open Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
For more details on obtaining a birth certificate for your child from the Bureau of Vital Statistics, including mail carriers to use, additional cost for expedited service, and estimated processing time, click here.