When a healthcare provider gives your child an immunization and you consent to registering this information, the statewide immunization registry (known as ImmTrac) is notified. ImmTrac will keep an electronic immunization record on your child. Some information contained in the registry are the child's name, date of birth, address, the name of the parent or guardian, information on the shots given, and who gave them. Optional (but very helpful) information stored in ImmTrac is the child's Social Security Number and mother's maiden name. This optional information helps prevent duplicate records from being created.
Providers authorized to use ImmTrac can see what immunizations your child has already had, even if they were given in another city or county. So when you come in for shots, your child gets only those that he or she needs. This means your child won't be under-vaccinated and more susceptible to diseases. Your child won't be over-vaccinated either, so he or she does not have to go through any more discomfort than is necessary. ImmTrac can also print out a shot record you can use to get your child into school or childcare. Using ImmTrac, immunization providers can remind you to bring your child in for shots that are due, or to notify you about shots that are overdue.
Your privacy is protected. Your child's immunization information is available only to persons authorized by law to see it. Only doctors, schools, childcare centers, and public health providers with ImmTrac-issued identification numbers and passwords may view the information.
To register your child for ImmTrac participation you must grant consent in writing by:
- Completing and signing the ImmTrac Registration Form offered by the birth registrar during the birth certificate process (newborn children only).
- Completing, signing, and mailing or faxing the Consent Form (English or Español) to ImmTrac, along with copies of any immunization records you have for your child.
You may mail the Consent Form to:
- Texas Department of State Health Service
- ImmTrac Group T-301
- 1100 West 49th St.
- Austin, Texas 78756
Or fax the form to:
- 512-458-7290 (Austin)
- 866-624-0180 (toll free)
- You can also register your child by calling the Immunization Branch at 800-252-9152 to request an ImmTrac Consent Form. Or, print one here: (English or Español)
Consent is required to be obtained only one time, and is valid until the child becomes 18 years of age, unless the consent is withdrawn in writing.
- Call: 800-252-9152
- Email: ImmTrac@dshs.state.tx.us
- Write to:
- DSHS Immunization Branch
- 1100 West 49th St.
- Austin, TX 78756
Information obtained from the Texas State Department and Health Services: August 2017.