A living donor kidney transplant has many advantages as compared to a transplant from a deceased donor.
- Donors can be tested as soon as the recipient is actively listed, negating the prolonged wait for a deceased donor.
- A kidney from a living donor typically works better and has a longer life span.
- The surgery can be pre-scheduled, avoiding the uncertainty and stress of being on the waiting list.
- May prevent the need for dialysis and the complications associated with kidney failure.
- Living donor kidneys typically begin to function immediately.
- For some patients with kidney failure, a living donation may be life saving.
- Choosing to donate a kidney is a gift of life.